*Benny-boy, how I love thee, for you created the public
Recent Reads (All of which I have loved and checked out from the San Francisco Public Library!)
Autobiography, Biography, and/or Travel Memoir
- The Autobiography of Malcolm X (as told to Alex Haley)
- Kim Sunee's Trail of Crumbs: Hunger, Love, and the Search for Home—drool-worthy food descriptions (and recipes!) alongside a heart-touching autobiography.
- Susan Jane Gilman's Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven
- Alison Bechdel's Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic--The first graphic novel that I've read and enjoyed. Very literate, intellectual, and sad and hilarious all at once.
- Stacey O'Brien's Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love story of an Owl and His Girl—My gawd, I love owls!
- Asne Seierstad's The Bookseller of Kabul
- Carrie Fisher's Wishful Drinking—Knee-slappingly funny.
- Katherine Powell Cohen's Images of America: San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury—My beleoved neighborhood! Fantastic, brief historical overview from the 1880's to 2008 with photograph's gracing each page.
About Public Libraries and the Love of Reading
- Don Borchert's Free For All: Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library
- Emma Walton Hamilton's Raising Bookworms: Getting Kids Reading for Pleasure and Empowerment
- Vicki Myron's Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
- Andrew Sean Greer's The Story of a Marriage
- Robert Charles Wilson's Darwinia: A Novel of a Very Different Twentieth Century
- Michael Pollan's The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World
- Donna Farhi's Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living
- Carol Off's Bitter Chocolate: The Dark Side of the World's Most Seductive Sweet
Currently Browsing (i.e. not reading every single page)
- Mothisa Yamakage's The Essence of Shinto: Japan's Spiritual Heart
- Terence Conran's The Chef's Garden: Fresh Produce from Small Spaces
- Swami Vishnu-Devanda's The Complete Book of Illustrated Yoga
- Hooman Majd's The Ayatollah Begs to Differ: The Paradox of Modern Iran
- James Dalessandro's 1906: A Novel (about the 1906 San Francisco earthquake)