I've been thinking a lot about the poem, "A Dream Deferred" by Langston Hughes that I posted a couple of days ago. Thinking about what dreams I've deferred for whatever reasons: time, money, almost always being in college as an adult (and thus essentially having little to no money to spare), fear of traveling alone even though it is something I have always wanted to do, owning cats (it can be tough to find someone to watch your fur babies for very long), having a significant other, etc.; and I've come to the conclusion that THE BIGGEST DREAM I'VE DEFERRED HAS TO DO WITH TRAVELING.
From childhood, I always imagined myself into the future as a traveler; that I'd go see the world:
- Central America--Especially Costa Rica--La Pura Vida--I would love to return there again and cry yet again when it is time for me to leave as this is a country that you never, ever want to leave. Oh, and I can speak Spanish--Bonus!
- Burma (Myanmar)--which I've been especially enamored with my entire life after seeing pictures of it as a third-grader in The National Geographic
- Italy--to practice my budding Italian--specifically Sienna, Tuscany, Roma, Ischia, Lake Maggiore and Lake Como, and so much more.
- Spain--to see Gaudi's buildings and to practice the only language I find myself able to speak cohesively besides English.
- Peru--to visit Machu Pichu, Lake Titicaca, the Nazca Lines, and so much more (and to yet again practice my Spanish even more!)
- Patagonia--for wild, adventurous, potentially dangerous backpacking.
- Thailand or Bali--for a bit of luxuriousness beach-lazing and cultural experience.
- Iceland--just because it is the home of Bjork. OK, just kidding, it is more than that: the hot springs, the aurora borealis, the volcanoes, and so much more.
- France--But only now that I've a coworker who will be moving back to Paris next year. Paris is not a city I want to navigate alone as an "obnoxious" American whom butchers the language of France every time I open my mouth.
- Morrocco--Just because I am an "Occidental" by by birth and would to love to explore the "Other" (This is so an inside, super-sarcastic joke based on multiple studies of Edward Said's book Orientalism.)
- Japan!--Let me go and be absolutely consumer-blotto and have it only abluted by frequent trips to Buddhist monasteries.
- Alaska--only during the Auroro Borealis and with a definite trip somehow, someway (without being eating by Grizzly Bears) to see Mount McKinley.
- Somewhere in the continent of Africa--perhaps South Africa as they seem to make the best wines for their continent (but I could be misinformed).
So, what is/are your dreams deferred? Want to win some handsewn goodies--specifically a handmade Aranzi Aronzo's portable tissue cover (scroll down just a bit too see what I am talking about!) just in time for the spring allergy season! Leave me a comment about your dream deferred and--if it's not too personal or too painful to share--why your dream was deferred. (ETA: Comments close for contest by Saturday, 11:59 pm, May 24th)